GCTTS is a very common Benign tumor usually affecting the digits in females ( 2x more common) grossly it is a lobulated small (2-3 Cm.) yellowish mass.
Here in our case we can see :
- osteoclast like gaint cells with many bland looking nuclei.
- many mononuclear cells in the back ground.
- Not much inflammatory cells or hemosidren.
The differential here:
- pigmented villonodualr tenosynovitis – usually in large joints like knee with lots of hemosidren.
- other granulomatous lesions – many inflammatory cells.
- mononuclear cells stain with Desmin
- you may see necrosis , tumor thrombi on paraffin sections.
Neoplastic vs reactive nature is still one of the questions to be solved.
This patient underwent total abdominal hysterectomy and bilateral oopherectomy due to endometrial complex hyperplasia with atypia, the left ovary showed a mass ” couldn’t resist the temptation of taking a smear for fast pap stain” which showed this spindle tumor with fasicular arrangement. the tumor later proved to be a fibrothecoma quit known to screte lots of estrogen that may lead to hyperplastic endometrium. strangly the cells on smears showed many grooves as on sections a feature seen in estrogen secreting granulosa cell tumor.
Hi there, few days ago i stumbled upon this relatively uncommon renal tumor and misdiagnosed it as Conventional renal cell carcinoma on smears. ” seams i got so much to learn ”
So lets review the Cytological Characteristics of this tumor :
- polygonal cells.
- well defined borders.
- granular to light transparent cytoplasm, clear cells are rare.
- accentuation of the granularity at the periphery of the cell.
- central halo giving the cell koilocyte like appearance.
- the nuclei are eccentric with anisonucleosis.
- some of the nuclei are condensed with raisinoid appearance.
Beware of the Eosinophilic Variant of Chromophobe RCC as it very hard to differentiate from Renal Oncocytoma which is a benign tumor.
-Long slender tapering nuclei sometimes bend and form hooks and comma shapes.
– Fibrillari back ground.
– Watch out from degenerative changes which including pleomorphism.
– If you find verocay bodies you are lucky
This case is dedicated to our dear colleague and friend Ahmed AboSolb, leaving us soon. your case is solved from the very first day 🙂