Hi there, few days ago i stumbled upon this relatively uncommon renal tumor and misdiagnosed it as Conventional renal cell carcinoma on smears. ” seams i got so much to learn ”
So lets review the Cytological Characteristics of this tumor :
- polygonal cells.
- well defined borders.
- granular to light transparent cytoplasm, clear cells are rare.
- accentuation of the granularity at the periphery of the cell.
- central halo giving the cell koilocyte like appearance.
- the nuclei are eccentric with anisonucleosis.
- some of the nuclei are condensed with raisinoid appearance.
Beware of the Eosinophilic Variant of Chromophobe RCC as it very hard to differentiate from Renal Oncocytoma which is a benign tumor.